Monday, October 10, 2011

Why Me?

The day had come that my husband and I had to make a decision about taking care of his ninety year old grandmother. His grandmother was very independent woman who lived by herself four hours away from us. She recently fell and broke her hip. During the weeks and months ahead as Gene went back and forth to take care of her, Gene realized she was unable to take care of herself anymore. Gene came to me and asked if we could bring Mamaw into our home to care for her, the only answer for us at that time was yes. Afterwards the realitiy begin to set in; our children were four and seven at the time, Gene had been out of a job for six month and I began to question God. How can we do this with no job, small children, and I was a stay at home mom? Why us and why now?

During the weeks and months of preparing to bring Mamaw to our home, Gene received a call from our Associate/Youth Pastor from our church; he asked if I could go on a World Changers trip with the students. The trip was paid for and Gene knew I always wanted to go on one. I went with mixed emotions, but excited to get away for a while.
The morning that I was to find out with the group what we were assigned to, I was late getting there. As I approach the group, everyone looked disappointed. I asked, what was wrong and they said, we are assigned to a nursing home. I sat down stunned because I knew the reason why I was in this group going to a nursing home. I didn't hear anything else but what my Father was saying to me at that moment. I asked for His forgiveness for doubting Him and what He was doing in my life. My God prepared me that week with the different experinces that I had in the nursing, for what I would experience when Mamaw came to live with us and when we had to put her in a nursing home over the next four years. It was a life changing experience.

Do I understand the "Why me or us", no sometimes God doesn't reveal the why's. But God does allow me to see, like with Gene's grandmother, some of the reasons why. He is changing me to be more like Jesus during the whys.
God tells us in Jeremiah 29:11, that He has a plan and purpose for our lives and in Ecclesiastes, He tells us that His ways are not our ways. I need to remember when I am asking "Why me", that those times are part of His divine plan and purpose  for our life that will and can be life changing for us.

I don't understand everything that God is doing in my life and my families, but I do want to be a part of His divine plan no matter what, because they are life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment